Alcohol Consumption At, Near and Around League Diamonds
The CSMS League Board has received notice of a complaint filed against us with the City of Calgary concerning the behaviour of some of our league members at the Senator Burns Park (Charleswood 1). It is likely that more complaints will follow. This is a serious matter which jeopardizes the League’s ability to reserve the diamonds and to continue as a viable sports entity. The complaints filed against the CSMS League us are:
1) Use of alcohol in the park
2) Urinating in the park
3) Remaining in the park long past curfew
• It is ALWAYS illegal to consume alcohol This includes the diamonds themselves, the dugouts, the park surroundings, hidden behind bushes and/or at the curb/street adjacent. Those wishing to have alcoholic drinks after the games have the option to go to nearby JT’s Lounge at the Triwood Community Centre, the Riverstone Pub at 14th Street & Northmount Drive NW, any other bar, or a member’s private home. As an aside, the recreational use of marijuana is also prohibited in parks and other public places. The fact that the police may have turned a blind eye to consumption in the past does not matter since the number one issue related to our renewing field permits is that we not be found to have allowed the consumption of alcohol on the premises in the past.
• Urinating in a public park is also illegal. Our league pays to provide a port-a-potty. If for any reason that is locked, there are bathrooms nearby at the Brentwood Shopping Centre at London Drug, Safeway and Wendy’s.
• The curfew for City of Calgary parks is 11:00pm and it is illegal to congregate in parks after that time in order to respect the desire for peace and quiet of nearby residents.
Unfortunately, a small number of league members, mostly in the AAA Division, have been ignoring these rules for at least the last four years or more. They have been repeatedly warned and yet the situation has continued to get worse, and now we’ve come to this point where our ability to play is in jeopardy because of them.
Since the situation continues to get worse and players refuse to adhere to City laws, the CSMS League Board of Directors is implementing a no-alcohol policy for all games as of August 15, 2020. Any member found consuming alcohol on our permitted diamond areas, urinating in public or overstaying curfew will be suspended from league play for their next four games. A second infraction will result in ejection from the league for the remainder of the season. Board members will be routinely visiting the diamonds after games to make sure that City of Calgary laws are not being broken.
Alcohol consumption in the park after games has previously been kept ‘under the radar’ so that no problems arose. Unfortunately because of the actions of a few individuals that can no longer be the case. This is now an issue that threatens the existence of our league, which has functioned well for over 40 years. Your willingness to cooperate is expected by your fellow softball players.
Board of Directors
Calgary Senior Men’s Slo-pitch League